Monday, December 17, 2007

Greetings from Paradise Island!

Sports Information Director Phil Ticknor blogs about his experience in the Bahamas with the women's basketball team at the Sunshine Shootout.

I'm proud to bring you the first-ever Sho'Blog from international soil!

First the bad news - there is no Internet in the gym that will be hosting the games here and, being outside of the United States, my mobile broadband card won't work. So, unfortunately, no in-game updates.

Now, the good news ... the Internet in the hotel room works like a champ, so I'll try to check in once or twice a day.

I actually flew into Nassau separate from the team - they flew from BWI, while I flew in from Philadelphia. (Also heading back separately as I will be departing Friday, while the team is staying until Saturday.) By chance, the team got into Nassau a little late and my plane was early, so I was able to ride the shuttle with them out to Paradise Island and the Paradise Island Harbour Resort, the tournament's hotel headquarters.

The weather here is gorgeous, which I'm sure is just delightful to hear if you're stuck in the frozen north. After checking into the hotel, we all grabbed something to eat. The team then headed to a public beach, while Suzie Friedrich (along for additional "adult" supervision) and I took some scenic photos from the bridge connecting New Providence Island (where Nassau is) to Paradise Island. We tried to catch up with them after that, but seemed to have ended up at the wrong beach. We did get a nice stroll through the Atlantis resort as a result of our wrong turns, however.

Everyone is resting up now as the team's flight from BWI left at 7:00 a.m. Dinner tonight is still to come. Tomorrow will see a morning practice followed by a 4 pm game against Washington & Jefferson. I'll have a full report on the game on WashingtonCollegeSports.com and some other thoughts here once we return to the hotel tomorrow night.

That's all for now!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home